- Before the project, public communications in most state authorities was considered as a minor technical function. Communications were largely reactive and without a focus on the result. Besides, there was little interagency coordination in communicating issues that fall within the competence of several public authorities. The situation was particularly dangerous under conditions of Russian information warfare and with the need to communicate on the conflict in eastern Ukraine and reforms in the country.
- The objective of the project was to improve national communications in the short term (during the project) through horizontal cooperation, proficiency enhancement, analytical and resource support of public agencies, implementation of special projects, etc. Additionally, using the example of some agencies and activities, the project demonstrated the new standards of public communications, which can be a foundation for the comprehensive reform of public communications at the central and regional levels.
- Introduction of a strategic communications function in pilot authorities (management involvement in planning and implementing communications; identification of objectives, target audiences, key messages, speakers, channels and tools of communications; efficiency analysis, etc.);
- Introduction of a pilot system of interagency coordination of communications (joint monitoring of threats, coordination and synchronization of key messages, statistics and analytics, communication plans, etc.);
- Improvement of efficiency of current communications and implementation of special projects (particularly, in the areas of international communications, multimedia, online, etc.).
- More than 200 spokespeople received a public communications workbook.
- More than 50 spokespeople participated in training activities: seminars, workshops, conferences, tours, etc.
- We developed a system of values, competencies and effectiveness assessment of spokespeople.
- Comprehensive HR projects to improve the efficiency of spokespeople were conducted in pilot agencies (the General Staff of the Armed Forces, Presidential Administration, Verkhovna Rada).
- The General Staff of the Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defence. Increased public confidence in the Armed Forces and decreased the number of negative publications about the Armed Forces in mass media – 4% in December 2015, compared to 61.8% in February 2015.
- The Ministry of Finance, National Bank of Ukraine. Minimization of populism in covering Ukraine’s debt restructuring; balanced and calm tone of coverage of the negotiations and default risks by top media (except for some negative publications inspired by the Russian Federation). Reduction in negative publications on potentially unpopular measures (closing of commercial banks, introduction of cash registers, etc.); increased confidence in the NBU. The Ministry of Healthcare. A high level of polio vaccinations as a result of the information campaign.
STRATCOM AT APU
A fundamental change of communication by the Head of State and his Administration with media and civil society is the main challenge for the Strategic Communications team at the Presidential Administration. In other words, our task is to ensure the openness of the President’s Office.
- The Presidential Administration is no longer a secret bunker of arrogant masters but a place where journalists and opinion leaders are always accepted and listened to. For journalists to feel comfortable, we updated the press center and created a comfortable media lounge where colleagues can work quietly even after press events finish, with fast Internet and a cup of coffee for inspiration at hand.
- For the first time since independence, art exhibitions take place at the Presidential Administration and everyone can visit them, regardless of wealth or views. These are changes that bring the highest leadership of the state closer to those who ultimately employ them to work.
- The President of Ukraine and his Administration officials regularly communicate with the media on topics that concern society. This helps to avoid the enormous amount of information provocation by Ukraine’s enemy.
- Creation and implementation of a new systematic approach to celebrating important anniversaries in Ukraine – www.ukrainianway.org
- Implementation of more than 20 national information campaigns covering more than 80 million contacts each
- More than 7,000 ordinary citizens were presented with a possibility to visit the newly created art space “Second Floor ArtCenter” as part of excursions to the Presidential Administration
- Reduction in response time to media inquiries from five down to two days
- Active communication with international media and doubling of unique publications about Ukraine and Presidential interviews
- A major increase (+85%) in the number of readers of APU pages in social media, activity of users and constant growth of conversation